Who and What
I’ve been working with WordPress for a number of years now. I don’t claim to be a WordPress guru, but I do think I’m fairly decent at compiling resources and distilling information.
My journey with WordPress has been longer and harder than I would have liked for a number of reasons, my hope is to provide you with a resource that allows you to avoid some of the pitfalls and rabbit trails I have found myself in/on.
- Start with Understanding WordPress Themes
- Learn the Files in WP and How They Are Stored
- Learn the How and Why of Enqueued Files
- Learn How to Use WP_Query
- Learn About the WordPress Database Structure
- Learn How to Use Custom Post Types (CPTs)
- Learn How to Use Custom Fields
- Learn How to Use Hooks and Actions/Filters
- Learn Some Best Practices for Coding
- Coming Soon…
As You Need It
This section contains content that is really helpful to know but not content one always needs to know. Depending on what you are building with WP, you may or may not have occasion to utilize this material – so learn it as you need it.
- Tom Ewer’s How to Build a Landing Page (WPExplorer, 2014-2016)
- Tom instructs us to create a template file called front-page.php. This is too specific imho, I prefer blank.php (very wide) or landing.php (specifically landing).
- Jared Novack. What Is WordPress Lacking? A Template Language. Torque Mag, 2013.
- Jared reviews Mustache, Smarty, and Twig as potential template languages for WP. He reviews several endeavors to integrate a template language currently in existence and goes on to share about their home grown (and now quite popular) plugin called Timber that utilizes Twig.
This section contains articles that provide big picture overviews that help you determine the direction you want to move in.
- Tom Ewer’s 8 Awesome WordPress Web Apps Paving the Way for WordPress as a SaaS Platform (Elegant Themes, 2016)
- The title is a bit misleading as this article also covers the various tools available for expediting web app dev in WP and also what sorts of web apps will be most suitable for WP.
The Full Sitemap
- Best of the Best Big Picture WordPress Tutorials
- Building a WordPress Toolset
- Directories Pro by Sabai Apps
- How to Use WordPress Users, Roles, and Capabilities
- Keeping Track of All the Changes
- Knowledge Base
- Learn All The Programming Principles
- Learn All The Things In WordPress
- Learn How To Build a WordPress Plugin
- Learn How to Use WP_Query
- Learn the WordPress Database
- Learn the WordPress Loop
- Learn WordPress Coding Concepts
- Learn WordPress Custom Fields
- Learn WordPress Custom Post Types
- Learn WordPress Custom Taxonomies
- Learn WordPress Developer Tools
- Learn WordPress Filters
- Learn WordPress Shortcodes
- Learn WordPress Template Tags
- Learning WordPress Hooks and Actions/Filters
- Principles for Coding in WordPress
- Some Tips on Getting Started With WordPress
- WordPress Cheat Sheets
- WordPress Debugging
- WordPress Enqueud Files
- WordPress Feature Images & Post Thumbnails
- WordPress Files and Hierarchies
- WordPress Functions File
- WordPress Hooks
- WordPress Included Libraries / Scripts / Frameworks
- WordPress Internationalization
- WordPress Navigation
- WordPress Overview
- WordPress Pagination
- WordPress Plugins
- WordPress Sanitization
- WordPress Sidebars
- WordPress Themes
- WordPress Widgets
- WordPress.org API